Friday, February 27, 2015

Taking a "Walk" Down the Side of a Tall Building for Addiction Awareness

I wrote about Shatterproof and their Shatterproof Challenge just over a year ago. (See "Rappelling Down Buildings for Addiction: Shatterproof's Cool Fundraiser.") In a nutshell, Gary Mendell's fabulous organization raises money by staging rappelling events around the country. Sign up, raise $1,000.00 or more, and you get to be like a superhero and "walk" down the side of a tall building (while connected to a safe rig, of course). The best part? All the money raised helps Shatterproof continue their goal of "protecting our children from addiction to alcohol or other drugs and ending the stigma and suffering of those affected by this disease."

When I wrote about this last year, a dear friend took the challenge and ended up rappelling down the side of a building in Dallas. She did it, in part, to honor my son. I still get choked up when I think about that.

This year, I've decided to take the challenge myself. I am doing it not only to honor my son and his recovery, but in memory of all the people who weren't as lucky as my son. The Tylers, Erikas, Zoes, Brians, Henrys, Gregs, Kacies, and Sarahs of the world. Addiction is an insidious disease and so many families have been shattered by the ultimate tragedy of losing a child, sibling, cousin, niece/nephew, husband/wife, etc.

So this summer--August 6th to be exact--I will be in downtown Cleveland, Ohio, to rappel down the side of the Westin Hotel. I think it's 22 stories, so it should be fun. To be totally honest, I'm not a big fan of heights, so maybe it'll be even more fun than I'm expecting. But it's for a great cause and it's another way I can raise awareness and help kick addiction's ass.

I'm officially registered for the Cleveland event. Now I need to raise $1,000.00 from people who think this cause is a good one. That's where you all come in.

If you read this blog, I'm pretty sure you've been touched by addiction in some way. If that's the case, I hope you'll consider contributing to Shatterproof and helping me reach my $1,000.00 goal. I would be incredibly appreciative, and you would benefit by knowing that you're making a difference. You'll also more than likely get to see photos of me on the side of a building, hanging on for dear life and scared shitless. So it's a win all the way around!

Here is a direct link to my fundraising page at the Shatterproof website:

http://support.shatterproof.org/goto/DeanDauphinais

Every little donation will help, even if it's a dollar or two. (FYI, Shatterproof is a qualified 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law.)

By the way... If anyone wants to sign up for the Shatterproof Challenge and join me for the Cleveland event, or rappel down a building in another U.S. city, you should check out Shatterproof's events page at this link:

http://support.shatterproof.org/site/PageServer?pagename=rappel_all_events

Thanks for reading about my upcoming summer adventure. And if you decide to make a donation, a great big "thank you" and my undying gratitude goes out to you in advance.

Peace.

P.S. Here's a video about the Shatterproof Challenge. Pretty badass, huh?



I have a date with this building on August 6th. I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Dean:

    You truly "Walk" the Walk. Thank you for fighting for all our kids.

    ReplyDelete