Friday, June 6, 2014

I'm Living a Dream This Weekend

I'm writing this from a cottage my wife and I rented for the weekend. We are in northern Michigan--Glen Arbor to be specific--for our younger son's graduation from the Leelanau School (the subject of an earlier blog post of mine, "The Greatest High School on Earth").

I'm living a dream this weekend.

A few years ago, I didn't know what the future held for my younger son's education because his ADHD made him incompatible with public high school. He was struggling in his studies and feeling lost; and, quite frankly, the school didn't seem to care all that much. But we found the Leelanau School, where everyone cares about students with learning difficulties. It has changed our lives.

A few years ago, things were also very different for our older son. But now, going on two years of sobriety, he is a changed man who is with us this weekend to watch his little brother graduate. I can't even begin to tell you how incredibly grateful I am that he is here. It's been such a joy to see my younger son "showing off" his big brother and introducing him to everyone at the school. He loves him so much.

Today there's a picnic at the school, followed by an awards ceremony, dinner, a play (my son has a lead role), and a "Coffee House" music performance (my son is taking part in that as well). Tomorrow is the "big day," and I'm sure my wife and I will both cry like babies through the entire commencement ceremony.

Everything about this weekend is amazing: the scenery, the weather (which is perfect), the people, the activities, the food. But what's especially beautiful to me is the togetherness and love I feel within my family. I couldn't have scripted anything better.

I'm living a dream this weekend. Only it's not a dream.

"I sustain myself with the love of family." --Maya Angelou

Our home for the next few days.
The view from the Leelanau School's beach yesterday afternoon.


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful moment for your family! As a public school teacher, I can say that it's overwhelming to deal with 100 students on a daily basis and try to keep up with all of their individual needs, which run the gamut and certainly include ADHD and substance abuse. I'm so glad your son found the school he deserves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you and your whole family, you all have something to be proud of and you deserve this happiness Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete