Thursday, January 15, 2009

Changing priorities

In an earlier post, I mentioned how little things can become a source of great hope when you're going through what I'm going through with my son. It really is amazing how things that most people probably take for granted become major achievements or dreams in our house. Yes, priorities change and--for lack of a better description--the bar is sometimes lowered.

For example, hoping that my son would get excellent grades in high school evolved into hoping that my son could just finish high school. And when I realized that my son wasn't going to finish high school, then I didn't even really care, as long as he could find some happiness and get his life on track.

We're still working on that happiness/life-on-track part, but at least he was able to pass the GED exam last spring. That was a major milestone. But if you would've told me ten years ago that having my kid get a GED instead of a high school diploma would be cause for celebration, I would've told you you were crazy.

See what I mean? Priorities change. And in my world, you just have to roll with that change as best you can. It's the only way you can survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment