Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Goodbye, Klonopin

Almost a year ago, I wrote a blog post entitled "Held Hostage by a RX Drug: My Klonopin Nightmare." In it, I talk about my horrific experience with Klonopin, a benzodiazepine (or "benzo") prescribed by my psychiatrist for anxiety. I took the drug--as prescribed--for years. Unfortunately, I also spent years trying to stop taking the drug because my body had grown so dependent on it.

Now for an update.

I'm happy to report that after years of weaning off of Klonopin, I finally stopped taking it entirely on August 7th. I've been Klonopin-free for more than three months, and I couldn't be happier.

The beast is finally out of my system.

Benzos are some of the hardest drugs--prescription or otherwise--to quit. So I'm pretty damn proud of my accomplishment. For a while, it was hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Klonopin was my ball and chain. But with the help of an awesome nurse practitioner, who helped me with the weaning process, I was able to break free from the nastiest medication I've ever ingested. (Thanks so much, Kim!)

If your doctor ever wants to prescribe a benzodiazepine for you, please be extremely cautious. These drugs--which include alprazolam (brand name: Xanax), diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), triazolam (Halcion), clonazepam (Klonopin), and several others--are not to be taken lightly. Yes, they can be beneficial; but they are seriously strong and can cause some nasty side effects that can really kick your ass.

Lastly, if you're taking a benzo and want to get off of it, never, ever quit "cold turkey." The results can not only be hellish, but dangerous as well. Always wean off of the drug under a medical professional's supervision.

Goodbye, Klonopin. You will not be missed.

"Klonopin is a horrible, dangerous drug." --Singer Stevie Nicks (who struggled with Klonopin addiction)

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am on my 8th month off of klonopin after 20 years of use. I am very grateful for being free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been on this 35 years! I want off but I know what the side effects feel like!

      Delete
  2. I don't see a contact column, but I'd like to get in touch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, T. If you scroll down in the righthand column of my blog, there's a contact form. Feel free to get in touch with me. -Dean

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing, I quit taking Klonopin cold turkey, I don't remember doing it. I ended up in a mental hospital, my memory is shot. All that I remember is when I got off of drugs and alcohol, the rest is a distant memory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please contact me at LindaKay777@aol.com. Going through a similar experience.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if you read these anymore or if this blog still exists. I just turned 40. I'm in the same boat. Although I've been taking them for 16yrs. A few months ago I started exhibiting Alzheimer-like symptoms. I'm down to .5mg 1/day, and 2 if I need it. Lately, I have... and now my sleep dr. is recommending I take more so I can sleep at night. Obviously, I told him no and that I wouldn't do that. He was truly confused in my response and explanation.

    I'm finding it very difficult to stop this last .5mg! Any stories of success and how it made you feel after you were off it would be greatly appreciated by anyone. I feel this drug has ransomed my life. Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete