Saturday, October 23, 2010

Why are some people such assholes?

My kid went to an AA meeting tonight but came home early--and very upset--because an old-timer there accused him of being high and asked him to leave. Are you kidding me?! This pissed me off so much.

Addicts attending AA meetings is a very touchy subject with many AAers. Some AA members are "old school" and don't like or want addicts at their meetings. They want the addicts to go to NA (Narcotics Anonymous) meetings instead. "Alcohol might be a drug, but drugs aren't alcohol," some of them say.

While I can sort of see their point, I have to believe that alcoholics and addicts have more things in common than they don't. And AA and NA both use the same 12-step program. The fact of the matter is, there are very few NA meetings in decent neighborhoods in close proximity to where we live. So it's easier for my son--who doesn't drive--to attend AA meetings.

I would've hoped that someone in recovery would've been a bit more sympathetic towards another person in recovery, regardless of whether that other person was recovering from an addiction to beer or wine or vodka or Vicodin or marijuana. I guess I'm expecting too much of people, though. I guess some people are just assholes. Period.

For the record, my kid wasn't high. But the side effects from Suboxone can often times make a person look like they're high. Just another obstacle for a recovering addict to overcome.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is very obnoxious to not welcoming an addict to AA! It doesn't matter what drug is used, all addicts share the same addiction, behaviour. I can even relate to it because I have been in a violent relationship. AA should have welcomed him..

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're strangers, but I sheltered my cousin after she got out of rehab for drug addiction. She had a similar experience with AA meetings. I too was not very happy about the locations of the NA meetings, though most of them were in churchs, but bad neighborhoods. In the end she decided NA was the place for her. They welcomed her as AA hadn't. Now 4 years sober last month, I guess it was/is (she still attends meetings) worth going to a few bad neighborhoods. I would just parked close to the door and read a book while she was inside. Good luck to your son. It's a hard road he has to walk.

    ReplyDelete