Monday, June 9, 2014

A Graduation Day Postscript

After my younger son's graduation ceremony at the Leelanau School on Saturday, my older son came up to me, gave me a hug, and said, "Congratulations, dad. At least one of us made it."

I was immediately overcome with tears because I knew that a part of my older son was hurting because he didn't graduate from high school. (He actually got his GED about a week before his high school class graduated.)

While crying, I hugged him tightly and told him, "You did make it! You've come so far and I'm so proud of you. I love you so much."

He hugged back just as tightly and said, "I love you, too, dad."

Saturday was probably the proudest day of my life. I love my boys.

"Accept the children the way we accept trees--with gratitude, because they are a blessing--but do not have expectations or desires. You don’t expect trees to change, you love them as they are." --Isabel Allende


No comments:

Post a Comment