Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Thanksgiving 2020: Damn, This Is Weird

COVID-19 sucks. 2020 sucks. And for a lot of people, Thanksgiving 2020 might suck. But not for me. Don't get me wrong--this Thanksgiving is gonna be weird with a capital W, because I won't be able to see any of my immediate family. My 89-year-old mom. My youngest sister. My oldest sister. My brother. My two sons. I won't see any of them on my favorite holiday because of this stupid coronavirus. And it's super weird.

My wife and I will, however, be having Thanksgiving dinner with our next door neighbors. That might sound crazy, but our next door neighbors are like extended family. Kathy and I are old enough to be their parents (I think), but we have been incredible friends since they moved in several years ago. Not only that, their two boys--ages one-and-half-ish and going on four--are like our surrogate grandchildren. We babysit them all the time and love them with all our heart.The reason we're having dinner with our neighbors is because they are in our "pod." We've stayed in contact with them pretty much since this COVID bullshit started, and we're all very careful not to have much contact with others. Plus, we're pretty much family. 

So we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving with people not related to us, but it will still be fun. I hope you have a fun Thanksgiving, too, no matter who you're celebrating with.

Now, onto the purpose of this post: a gratitude list! 

It's funny: I used to post on this blog pretty often. But since I found a job I truly love, I've been busy. In fact, the last post I made to this blog was last Thanksgiving. And it was a gratitude list. Maybe I'll just come back here once a year to list a bunch of things I'm grateful for. Who knows? In any case, here's my stream of consciousness gratitude list for 2020. There may be overlaps from last year, but so be it. 

Some Things I Am Grateful For

Katinka (a.k.a. my lovely wife Kathy; always at the very top of my gratitude list)
My job with Families Against Narcotics (FAN) and all the amazing people I work with
My 89-year-old mom
My two sons, Sam and Josh
15 months of sobriety for Sam
My new-to-me 2006 Pontiac Solstice
My amazing next door neighbors and their adorable boys
Great neighbors all around me
Law & Order reruns
People who believe in me
Opportunity
My ceramic, light-up Penobscot Building
Friendships
A nice home to live in
My new front porch and railing
Music and the people who make it
Mickey, our 15-year old sweetheart of a cat
Anne Lamott
The Anne Lamott Quotes Twitter feed
Jason and the Clear Minds sober living house
Good health
32 years of marriage
A sense of humor
Kathleen Edwards
Pizza (always!)
Clean water to drink
My grandma's soup recipe
My father-in-law
Kindness
Zoloft
My electrophysiologist
The ability to help others
The Leelanau School
My brothers- and sisters-in-law
The New York Times crossword and Spelling Bee puzzles
Spotify
Facebook Marketplace
Apple products
Love
Birds
Freshly baked bread with butter
Reasonably good cooking skills
Memories of my dad
Memories of my grandparents
Hope (always)
Retro-Taku Videogames
Good health insurance
Dreams

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who reads this. I hope you're able to enjoy the day, even if you can't be with the people who matter to you most. And if you've lost people who matter to you, I hope they live on for you in the memories you have of them.

Peace, love, and good food. And please wear a mask.

What are you grateful for today?

-Dean



2 comments:

  1. Happy belated Thanksgiving to you Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dean
    I'm glad I found you. I am just getting back to blogging. I started an addiction blog over 10 years ago when my son was still out there. He is almost 10 years sober today. I am trying to spread the message of hope. Recovery is possible. I'm currently writing a memoir about my family and the family disease of addiction. I am grateful for so many things. I start every morning in gratitude. We too had a wierd Thanksgiving without our family, but we are looking forward to a big family trip in July. Glad you are here.

    ReplyDelete