Monday, July 14, 2014

211 Days and Counting

Usually when I include a number of days/months/years in the title of one of my blog posts it correlates directly to my older son's sober time. Not today.

The 211 days I refer to in the title of this post is the number of days it's been since I've had a "real" job. My last day at the company I spent nearly 24 years with was December 15th, which seems like eons ago. Probably because it was eons ago.

Since December I've been looking for work here and there and keeping incredibly busy. I've kept up my efforts with two organizations that are near and dear to my heart: Heroes in Recovery and the Partnership for Drug-Free Kids; I've continued to advocate for families that have children suffering from addiction, and for recovery; I've cooked meals for residents of a sober living house; I've voluntarily managed the social media accounts of the high school my younger son recently graduated from; and I've done a lot of thinking.

When you are out of work for seven months, you get hungry for a job. But while I am definitely "hungry" for work, I am not yet "starving" for it. Let me explain.

As I wrote in a post back in February (boy, that was a long time ago), personal satisfaction is now the main requirement for any job I consider. I want to do something I'm passionate about for an organization I'm passionate about; an organization that's making a difference in people's lives (preferably young peoples' lives). Walking back into the corporate world is not something that's high on my list right now. In fact, it's still not on my list at all. Been there, done that, not excited to do it again.

Of course, there's always a possibility that that might change. I may get to a point where I have no choice but to consider a job I'm qualified for but don't really want to do. That would be a bummer...but so would being homeless. Nevertheless, I'm going to hold out for as long as I can; and for as long as my incredibly supportive wife will allow it. (Seriously, she has been amazing throughout this entire journey, just like she has been throughout our entire 25+ years of marriage.)

What's that old Confucius saying that I've always laughed at in the past?

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." 

Right on, Confucius! In the last seven months or so I've gone from laughing at that saying to believing it might actually be possible. One thing's for sure: I'm going to try my damndest to make it happen.

As I sit here typing this post I'm wondering to myself if I might be committing "career suicide" by being so honest. That could be, but like that post I wrote back in February said, this is who I am. If you like it, fine. If not, that's fine, too. The most important thing is that I like who I am these days.

"Just keep moving forward and don't give a shit about what anybody thinks. Do what you have to do, for you." --Johnny Depp


1 comment:

  1. Dean, you are the man! We are brothers on this journey. I am with you. There are so many times someone reminds me that I need job, etc. Yet, this little voice in my head says, keep serving those who need you and you will figure it out. Here's to the courage and the confidence to stay the course, knowing you will find what you are looking for along the way!

    ReplyDelete