Sunday, May 11, 2014

On Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day. As I wrote in a blog post two years ago, my family has never been gung-ho about celebrating Mother's Day or Father's Day or any of the "Hallmark Holidays." Don't get me wrong--we don't totally ignore the day; we just don't do over-the-top celebrations. I think we kind of feel like every day should be Mother's Day.

Even so, as I get older I feel like Mother's Day has taken on a little more meaning for me.

As I get older I realize more and more what an incredible mom I have. She's 83-years-young and I swear that on most days she has more energy than I do. She's always been there for me and my three siblings, helping us in any way she can when we need it, offering support and--most of all--unconditional love. I am blessed to have her in my life, as are my kids. "Grandma Dot" is the best!

I am also reminded every single day what a fabulous mother my lovely wife is. In 24-plus years of motherhood, she has never ceased to amaze me with the love, kindness, and support she has given our two beautiful boys. Even through the most difficult times with our older son, my wife was the rock in our family, constantly telling me that things would work out. I admit that for the longest time I wasn't sure if I always believed her. But I look at where we are today and I think there's a very good chance that she may have been right.

Mother's Day has also become more significant to me for another reason. Over the last few years, I have come to know way too many mothers who have lost a child to addiction. Losing your child to such an insidious disease is something no mother--or father--should ever have to experience. I think about these moms today and can't imagine the pain they must feel; not just on Mother's Day, but every day. They didn't lose their child because of anything they did or didn't do. They lost their child to a horrible disease that is running rampant in our society.

So many of these special moms are totally selfless, too. They've taken their own personal tragedy and are using it to educate others, and to advocate for addiction prevention and proper treatment. Their child lives on in their fighting spirit and tenacity. And that's such a beautiful thing.

These mothers are truly remarkable people, and to each and every one of them I say, "Happy Mother's Day."

I also wish a "Happy Mother's Day" to all the other moms out there, especially those who have children struggling with addiction. You are true heroes.

"Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind." --Howard W. Hunter

2 comments:

  1. Mother's Day takes on a new twist when you are dealing with addiction in your family. This article helped. Thanks for the great site to help educate and bring us together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, as always, Dean. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete